In 1846, Dugald McTavish of the Hudson’s Bay Co. explored the land in back of the Vancouver fur trading post. He reported finding four “plains,” each separated from the next by a band of timber, with the fourth one being the only one of “any size.” The fourth plain is where Orchards now stands. McTavish apparently meant natural clearings in the thick woods when he talked of “plains”; others have suggested the name was also taken for steps of land up from the river, or from flatland separated by east-west ridges.
Fourth Plain Village:
One of the six wartime developments built for shipyard workers during World War II, it was located off Fourth Plain Road near Grand Avenue. It is still a recognizable neighborhood. The Community Center, built for the wartime neighborhood, is still in use as the Red Cross Headquarters.